United States: Signs of a Slowdown Begin to Emerge
- April brought a steep 16.6% decline in new home sales and a 3.9% drop in pending home sales, the latest signs the housing market is cooling down amid sharply higher mortgage rates. Personal income rose 0.4% during April, while personal spending increased 0.9%. Inflation continues to run hot. The headline PCE deflator was up 6.3% year-to-year, while the core measure rose 4.9%.
- Next week: Consumer Confidence (Tue), ISM Manu. & Services (Wed/Fri), Nonfarm Payrolls (Fri)
International: Mixed Fortunes for Europe’s Economies
- This week’s May PMI surveys offered the latest insight into how some of Europe’s key economies are faring, and indicated varying fortunes across the region. The Eurozone PMIs reported a mild decline, suggesting a modest loss of momentum, though to levels that remain well within growth territory. For the United Kingdom however, the PMI surveys suggested the economy could suffer a sharper slowdown.
- Next week: China PMIs (Tue), Eurozone CPI (Tue), Canada GDP (Tue)
Interest Rate Watch: FOMC Minutes Show Another 50 bps Rate Hike Is Probable
- The minutes from the May FOMC meeting were released this week and offered additional evidence that a second consecutive 50 bps rate hike is imminent.
Credit Market Insights: Household Well-Being Strengthens in 2021
- This week, the Federal Reserve Board issued its Economic Well-Being of U.S. Households in 2021, a report which surveys the financial health and sentiment of U.S. adults and their families. Financial well-being among respondents reached its highest level since 2013 when the survey first began.
Topic of the Week: Biden Announces an Asia-Specific Strategy
- We unpack a few recent developments in terms of U.S. foreign relations this week, like the newly introduced Indo-Pacific Economic Framework, where things stand with trade policy more broadly and how there’s a review under way of U.S. tariffs on China that likely won’t lead to large changes to preexisting policy.
Full report here.
Written by Admin
A screen displays the logo and trading information for GameStop on the floor of the ...
These are the stocks posting the largest moves in midday trading. Signal2frex feedbacks ...
Sam Bankman-Fried, CEO of cryptocurrency exchange FTX, at the Bitcoin 2021 conference in Miami, Florida, ...